Monday, October 10, 2011

Kiteboard Review: Directional Board


Luke shaped the directional kiteboard with design influences extracted from the Cyborg surfboard. A narrow tail plan shape and quad fin design contain the board in the water at high-speed, and even though wave surfing. The kiteboard carries a low rocker throughout, that has a rolled vee from the nose to break up surface chop. The centre section is shaped single concave, running returning to double concave through the fins and out of the tail, increasing drive and control. Straps are totally optional, and although bolting points are designed in the board the straps themselves are not included.

When i first sought out on the board in September a year ago, at Daymer Bay in Cornwall riding strapped. It absolutely was an outstanding first session with a directional board - when riding the waves setup was ideal, but also for normal cruising it had been somewhat painful.

My second kitesurfing trip using the Luke Young board took me to Hill Head in Hampshire. Having lent a buddy my usual twin-tip kiteboard, I took the 5'4" surfboard in relatively good wind - Once again I made the choice to use the footstraps, that it was all great fun before front strap bolt was released and I had no choice but to kitesurf without it. All of those other session had not been so excellent, my back foot was stuck from the tail strap while my front foot was bouncing everywhere inside the heavy chop. Next session I made the decision to look at straps off and offer strapless riding ago!



Using the board floating before me plus the kite at twelve, I put my heels on the board and sent the kite down for the board start. Directional kiteboards are really buoyant the start is much simpler than expected. Having gotten up and riding I pointed the board downwind and leant back, adjusting my feet with a wider stance stopped my front leg popping into the air and i also found myself most comfortable once i moved my back foot to your centre on the board. Once i was kitesurfing, I felt like the board would have been a part of me, yet not attached, for that reason I could not help but sense that a surfer. Positioning the kite deep in the wind and charging at what swell we have now, I unleashed a number of cutbacks, floaters and aerials with grabs. I rode back in the beach happy!

Riding strapless has given us a different outlook when kitesurfing, We are no more focused on lending my twin tip North kiteboard to friends as There is the directional board suits the neighborhood conditions far better.

No comments:

Post a Comment