Monday, August 22, 2011

Ways To Tell If You Have The Right Kiteboard


When I found the Luke Young surf-style kiteboard it turned out obvious that the huge amount of skill and time went into building the kiteboard. Luke was actually named as surfboard shaper of the season in 2009, the Custom board certainly provides compelling evidence as to the reasons!
Luke shaped the directional kiteboard with design influences obtained from the Cyborg surfboard. A narrow tail plan shape and quad fin design hold the board in water at very fast, even though wave surfing. The kiteboard has a low rocker throughout, having a rolled vee over the nose to break up surface chop. The centre section is shaped single concave, running time for double concave with the fins and out your tail, increasing drive and control. Straps are totally optional, and although bolting points are meant in to the board the straps are not included.
I first went within the board in September last year, at Daymer Bay in Cornwall riding strapped. That it was a great first session with a directional board - when riding the waves the stance was ideal, but for normal cruising that it was a lttle bit painful.
My second kitesurfing trip using the Luke Young board involved to Hill Head in Hampshire. Having lent someone my usual twin-tip kiteboard, I took the 5'4" surfboard out in relatively good wind - Again I made the choice to work with the footsteps, it absolutely was all great fun prior to the front strap bolt became available and i also had no choice but to kitesurf without. Other session wasn't so competent, my back foot was stuck inside the tail strap while my ball of the foot was bouncing almost everywhere inside heavy chop. Next session I made the decision to accept the straps off and give strapless riding ago!
With the board floating facing me plus the kite at twelve, I put my heels for the board and sent the kite down for just a board start. Directional kiteboards are really buoyant that this start is easier than expected. Having gotten up and riding I pointed the board downwind and leant back, adjusting my feet to some wider stance stopped my front leg popping in to the air we found myself beloved as I moved my back foot on the centre with the board. Because i was kitesurfing, I felt that the board became a a part of me, yet not attached, for that reason I could not help but feel like a surfer. Positioning the kite deep within the wind and charging at what swell we've got, I unleashed various cutbacks, floaters and aerials with grabs. I rode back to the beach happy!
Riding strapless has given us a different outlook when kitesurfing, I'm no more concerned with lending my twin tip as I've found the directional board suits your neighborhood conditions far better.

No comments:

Post a Comment